This is the true story of a Puertorican who joined the Peace Corps in June 2006. This blog chronicles my misadventures in the Country of Georgia and in NO way represents the Peace Corps, its mission or its views. It is my personal blog!

Saturday, September 01, 2007

Even Bloggers Take Vacations

So I've neglected this blog for a few months...I know "tsudi var." The school year ended in mid-June just in time for the glorious summer heat to arrive. I have always been a summer girl and after this past winter, I fill never ever complain of how hot it is or how much I sweat. Unfortunately though, my part of town is still without gas so the only way to heat up water is by using a bucket. And believe me, you never get clean taking a bucket bath. My host father though came up with an ingenious idea. Fill a bunch of 2liter 'Kazbegi' beer bottles with water. Hang it in a net outside the window where the sun will heat it. By mid-afternoon that water is sizzling and I relish every...bottle bath!
In June, I went back to the US to visit with family and friends. Wow...America, how I missed you. "Sensory overload" and "too many options" defined my experience there. But I won't lie, it was great and only one more year until go back. Coming back to Georgia was a hard transition, culture shock 2.0. But after a few days things were back to normal...and plus the weather outside is fantastic.
Since school is out, days are lazier and my definition of 'being productive' has relaxed a bit. As part of the on-going school reforms, Director elections were held at my school. This past year School Directors (principals) nationwide had to take a special Director's exam to test their competency. 1/3 failed meaning as of the summer they were unemployed. Of those that passed, they had to run for re-election (like my Director). Candidates will address the school faculty, give their speeches and then the faculty would vote. My Director was unanimously re-elected.
To celebrate, we went on our annual Faculty excursion. About 40 of us piled into a bus with everything we'd need for a supra en tow. We drove to Ubnisi, a monetary in Western Georgia. As most Georgian churches and monasteries, this one was centuries years old. It had a 4 story tower where the monks resided and nearby was a small church with impressive frescoes. Around 12, we all piled into the bus intent on finding a place appropriate to supra. We spent the next 4 hours driving all over Georgia trying to find 'the place.' We must've made 10 stops- all of which were rejected for one reason or another. "There's no water...no tables...no shade..." Around hour 3.5, we stopped at an abandoned Sanatorium that was about 7 stories high and must've been quite a posh place during the Soviet era. Alas, it looked quite dilapidated and many refugees from Abkhazia were living inside. "Rejected." So we finally drove to Borjomi and arrived at the National Park. FINALLY!
High in the mountains, surrounded by "the nature," it turned out to be the perfect site. Everyone started unloading all the goods...meat, khashapuri (cheese pie), veggies, fruits, cake, lots and lots of bread, lots and lots of wine, juice, etc. While they were busy cooking, I explored the area and hiked up to a church on a mountain peak. It provided quite a spectacular view of the valley below. I arrived back to the campsite just in time. This was the most impressive supra...or picnic... I'd ever been too. Blankets were spread end to end to resemble the long supra tables and in true supra fashion there were plates atop plates atop plates. Then the toasting began...and well it was a great time. I made it back to Gori just before midnight; 16 hours since I'd left it!
The great thing about summer is that I'm able to explore more of the country. A few weeks ago, I went to Mtskreta, the old Georgian capital and site where conversion of the country from paganism to Christianity took place during the 4th century. There are four impressive churches, including Jvari (Cross) church which overlooks the town from atop the mountain. Jvari Church is built on the site where Saint Nino placed her cross before converting the people. In nearby Sveti-Tskhoveli Cathedral, Christ's robe is said to be buried there. The first church of Georgia was built on this site in the 4th century. Samtavro Church is a nunnery where some of Georgia's old Kings and members of royalty are buried. There are also remains of an old fortress.
I also had a chance to go to the Black Sea and go to an actual beach. The last time I was there, there was about 3 feet of snow when I passed through on my way to Turkey. The beaches are rocky with a colorful assortment of stones...and the water is divine too!

But summer is not all play without a little bit of work. Since spring, I have been working with my counterparts and Director to setup the English Cabinet (resource room). It's partially furnished now with a bookcase, bookshelves, tables, whiteboard and a computer desk. In the fall, we'll be getting a computer with internet access. So I've been busy writing a grant to finish furnishing the English Cabinet. We're requesting tables, chairs, TV and CD/DVD/Tape player. In September, we'll find out if our proposal will be funded.
At the American Corner, I've been holding Adult English conversation classes as well as Elem. Spanish club. Guess which is more popular? Si, Espanol clase. Dios mio! I hold Spanish Club every week with a fellow site mate. We introduce basic vocab, greetings, etc and also have a cultural section. The class has been a surprise hit, especially with the English teachers in town- go figure!
--
I wore out my last pair of sneakers so I needed to buy some new ones. Something I'd been putting off weeks since that meant I'd have to venture into the bazaar- something I despise. So on my way to the bazaar, I spotted one of several new Chinese products (aka cheap, better-than-Georgian quality knockoffs). So I checked out the selection of 'uni-sex' sneakers and found a pair of 'Adidas-Goodyear' sneakers that seemed ok. Then I realized I had no socks to try it on with. No prob, I'll just do what all the other Georgians were doing. Slip plastic shopping bags over your feet and "whoosh" in they go. My friends thought I would have been quite the trendsetter had I decided to keep the blue bag on and walk out the store in my new Adidas.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home