This is the true story of a Puertorican who joined the Peace Corps in June 2006. This blog chronicles my misadventures in the Country of Georgia and in NO way represents the Peace Corps, its mission or its views. It is my personal blog!

Monday, November 06, 2006

Colors, colors everywhere

I left the house early Saturday and was able to catch the sunrise over Gori--gorgeous! My goal is to go to Gori Sikhe (Fortress), which is the highest point in Gori, and see the sunrise. It'll make for a breathtaking view. Even though it's November, it feels like autumn has only begun. The leaves have started changing colors and Georgia seems to have had a facelift. It's a refreshing change from the depressing scenery I've gotten used to (old unpainted soviet bloc apartments).

Spent the weekend in Tbilisi at the Nika (PCV hostel aka haven). In Tbilisi, I went to a new Italian restaurant with Mark and had a dish with actual brocolli--something I haven't had/seen since the States. Afterwards we went to the famed "junk" bazaar where they sell all sorts of things Georgians consider junk like USSR memorabelia. There were Soviet flags, medals, uniforms, pins, coins, gasmasks, etc. It was very cool. I ended up getting a patch and medal. The bazaar will definately be one of my last stops before I return to the US. Sunday, I went to the main bazaar on a quest to get some new sneakers that wouldn't fall apart after 2 wears. Though I saw some cool "Adibas" sneakers, I decided to wait until the new shipment of knockoffs comes to town. In other news, I stumbled upon Baskin Robins!!! It was inside the movie theatre on Rustaveli Avenue. I ducked inside since they sold some dvds and I was hoping to find some english ones. And there before me was BR! Mmm, I had the banana-papaya ice cream and it was heaven!

Sunday night, the volunteers in Gori got together for a Mexican dinner, courtesy of our Country Director who brought us food (taco shells, rice, beans, tabasco sauce) during a site visit last month. We got together at Eve's (G5) apartment to prepare it and dine on lovely non-Georgian food. Unfortunately the electricity went out so we had to use headlamps while cooking. It was done true PC fashion!
------
That post was written last night from the safety and comfort of my sleeping bag. Today I was greeted by the COLDEST day in Georgia. Bitterly Cold. It's 2degC. You do the math.
------

1 Comments:

Blogger Leslie said...

Hi! I just wanted to say I appreciate you putting up these cool posts. I'm from Orlando, FL too (I found your blog via a facebook search on peace corps affiliated people!) and I'm applying to join the peace corps right now. So I really think it's neat hearing all about the adjustment process and your adventures. Thanks for writing about them!

8:47 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home